Thursday, September 20, 2012

When I grow up....

I've changed my blog around, and I'm happy with the design now. Still a work in progress. Why is it that when I'm living back at home in Sydney, my blogging mojo suddenly comes back? A lot of my mojo in general comes back when I'm back in my home town city. Lots of reflection going on. Contemplating the closing of one chapter, and opening a new one. Finding myself at a crossroad in life. So kids are done now. No more little ones for me. Now what?

Oh that's right. A job. A career. I always vowed that I'd never let my kids see me without the driving force of career. It's always been important that they see an ambitious mother. I'd hate for my kids to lack any kind of motivation in themselves. I'm quite the nomad though, and have found myself flirting with various different pursuits. From chiropractic to cosmetics, I guess I like to test the waters.

The benefits of having two little ones, however, is that I've discovered a potential career path I'd have never considered before - nursing. Midwifery in particular. I find the thought of helping a family deliver a new life into this world absolutely awe inspiring. Those that have known me for quite some time might know that I've always wanted to get into medicine. Unfortunately I wasn't the type to apply my knowledge when the time was right, and now with two little children, it's a no go at this moment in time (I wouldn't rule it out later, but it's not a career to commit to when my two littlest people are at this emotionally dependent time in their lives). Nursing is definitely more doable, and I owe a lot of gratitude to several nurses and midwives that made my life so much better. I would love to be able to pass that wonderful feeling of help onto others that would need it.

Granted there are many trials and challenges along the way, but ultimately I see it as a career path that would be fulfilling, very useful to society and hopefully make a whole lot of people feel that little bit better in their lives.

Do I sound optimistically naive? This is me we're talking about!

I wont lie, I find the concept of becoming a uni student again exciting. I don't ever think I was ready to leave in the first place. Let's see where the wind takes me.


No comments: